February 21, 2006

Glossed in Translation

Uroko No Nai Sakana / Anatakikou

Karinto Bon Bon /Anatakikou

In case it hasn't been painfully obvious so far, I should make a belated confession: I don't speak Japanese. Or Korean. Now, living in a country where your permanent silence effectively renders you a muted beast of the field is one thing, but listening to the native music is something entirely else. See, normally I'm sort of a lyrics freak, which has made my appreciation of Korean and Japanese music a little more difficult...at times I feel a bit like Helen Keller at a Seeing and Hearing Stuff Conference (ba-dum-cha).

That's why it’s always nice to find a band like Anatakikou. What does their name mean? I have no idea. But it’s fun to say...kinda rattles around in your mouth. Ditto for the songs...in fact, I have a feeling that if I understood whatever they were singing about, I probably wouldn't like them. On the second song, karinto bonbon, I just have to sing along when the background vocals get to "ka-koo-kee-ka-koo-kee-ka-ka." I imagine this is (to a much much lesser extent) the way the "rest of the world" feels when listening to the Beatles. In fact, if I had to classify Anatakikou as something, it would probably be as a valiant but quixotic effort to recreate the Fab Four's style circa Revolver. And yes, I used the thesaurus to find quixotic.

Oh, both songs are off the 2005 compilation Gradation, which you can buy here, if you happen to speak Japanese and traffic in Yen.

No comments: